Database / Tool
- NIES Research Papers DatabaseThe research papers of NIES staff that have been presented at conferences are listed in the database, and can be found by searching for Author, Title, Bulletin or Journal.
- Research StaffIntroduction of the NIES Researchers.
- Research Result (Publication)
- Research Result (Presentation)
- Global Environmental DatabaseThe Global Environmental Database is an initiative of the Center for Global Environmental Research at NIES, whereby a variety of information relating to the global environment is collated, processed, archived and subsequently provided to researchers in both Japan and overseas, as well as to the general public.
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory Office of Japan (GIO)-GHGs Emissions Data of Japan (1990-)National GHGs Inventory Report of JAPAN (NIR), Greenhouse Gas Inventories submitted to UNFCCC by Government of Japan. These data are based on the greenhouse gas inventory submitted from Japanese Government to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Greenhouse Gases Trend UpdateNIES has been conducting greenhouse-gas monitoring at two ground-based stations.The data of CO2 is available at both sites.
- GOSAT Data Archive Service (GDAS)This web site provides processed products of GOSAT observation data.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions ScenariosA database collecting a number of greenhouse gas emissions scenarios.
- Terrestrial Ecosystem Carbon Balance Data with 1 km Grid ResolutionWe provide an overview of the current regional patterns of carbon balance by terrestrial ecosystems as map image data. The data are obtained by integrating ground-based and satellite observation data with model simulation, and can be downloaded from this web site.
- Carbon Sink ArchivesA system for storing and analyzing geospatial data related to the studies of terrestrial carbon sink (residual terrestrial uptake).
- Global Land Cover Map (GLCM)The spatial resolution of the global land cover is 30 arc degree in latitude and longitude, and datum of the map is WGS84. This global land cover map is created by integration of existing maps and ground truth data and improved the accuracy by decreasing the classification categories to 6.
- Global 1km Fossil Fuel Carbon Dioxide Emission Dataset (ODIAC)This dataset indicates global distributions of man-made CO2 emissions due to fossil fuel combustion at 1x1km spatial resolution.
- Monitoring Network for Ultraviolet Radiation-UV indexProviding information on ultraviolet radiation, including UV index, for 14 sites in Japan on hourly basis. A website for cellular phone is also available.
- Polar Vortex ForecastsForecast of the position, shape, and size of the polar air-mass in the stratosphere. It is displayed in terms of potential vorticity maps calculated by CGER, using the National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) weather forecast data.
- Information on Vitamin D Synthesis / Erythemal UVUV radiation contains erythemally-weighted UV, as well as UV that synthesizes vitamin D3. Here the time to reach the MED and that needed to produce 10 μg of vitamin D for various sites across the Japanese Archipelago, is shown which will enable people to effectively manage their UV exposure and consider the risks and benefits of UV radiation.
Hydrology / Water Resources
- The global water resources model "H08"The global water resources model H08 is a distributed hydrological model designed for global application. The model enables us to simulate not only natural terrestrial hydrological cycle but also major human activities at high spatial and temporal resolutions. Source code, manuals, and meteorological input data of H08 are available.
Health / Chemical Substance
- HEALS Health Effects Alert SystemThe Health Effects Alert System (HEALS) is made up of four subsystems to support research for the evaluation of the health effects of chemicals - Chemical Toxicity and Gene Expression (ChemToxGen); Chemical Responsive Gene Database (ChemArrayDB); Profiles of Chemical Effects on Cells System (pCEC); and Multiprofiles of Chemical Effect on Health (MuICEH).
- NIES CRMsEnvironmental Certified Reference Materials (CRMs) are utilized to evaluate new analytical methods and to control the accuracy of pretreatment and instrumental analyses.
- A-TERAMThe impact of chemicals on the ecosystem has been measured in ecotoxicity studies using typical aquatic species of the three trophic levels, i.e., algae (phytoplankton), daphnia, and fish (e. g. medaka fish). A-TERAM aims to more accurately evaluate the effects on the ecosystem by incorporating ecological factors such as the life history of these species and the ecological interactions between species into the model.
- East Asian Air Pollutant Emissions Grid Database (EAGrid2000)An emission inventory database (0.5-degree grid) for the analysis of trans-boundary atmospheric pollution in the northern hemisphere.
- Forecast for distributions of Asian dust and anthropogenic aerosols in east Asian regionThis page displays distributions of Asian dust, anthropogenic aerosols, and tracers (chemical components) forecasted by Chemical weather FORecasting System (CFORS).
- CGER METEXYou can calculate air trajectories and plot wind fields and contours of meteorological parameters using the reanalysis data of National center for Environmental Prodiction(NCEP)(available from 1978 to the present, two months delay).
Water / Soil Environment
Biology / Ecosystem
- Invasive Species of JapanThis is a searchable database that contains information on the main invasive alien species in Japan.
- NIES microbial culture collectionIt is possible to refer to the list of strains preserved in the microbial culture collection at NIES, which includes the essential information of the culture strains, references, and image data. Additional information, such as how to order, deposit, handle, and cultivate strains is also available.
- JaLTER MetacatAn ecological observation database managed by JaLTER in order to facilitate long-term ecological researches. Observation datasets in the database, provided by JaLTER sites, are available for non-commercial use.
- The World of Protozoa, Rotifera, Nematoda and Oligochaeta
- Chironomid DNA Barcode DatabaseThe database search system provides DNA barcoding information on chironomid specimens, including DNA barcodes, taxonomy, and collection sites.
- Tropical Coastal Ecosystems Portal (TroCEP)A website that provides information on tropical coastal ecosystems, such as world maps and lists of mangrove species.
- Biodiversity Web Mapping System (BioWM)BioWM contains mapping systems for GBIF occurrence data (specimen and observation records) and research data provided by NIES.
- Genome DatabaseNIES provides draft whole genome sequences of mainly endangered species in FASTA format, as research outcomes from the Project for the Promotion of Environmental Genomics Studies.
- Lake Biwa Underwater-Video Archive from a Carp’s-eye viewThis database archives underwater videos filmed in Lake Biwa using carp-mounted video-loggers. The videos provide valuable information about the nature of fishes and other organisms inhabiting the lake.
- Predicting and Assessing Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services through an Integrated Social-Ecological Systems Approach (PANCES)Research summary and outcomes of Environment Research and Technology Development Fund (S-15) "Predicting and Assessing Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services through an Integrated Social-Ecological Systems Approach", such as the database search system, Web GIS, and policy briefs are available.
Waste / Recycle
- Database on municipal solid waste management in the Asia-Pacific Region (DaMSAR)Database related to the SDG Indicator 11.6.1 on municipal solid waste management in developing countries of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Lifespan database for Vehicles, Equipment, and Structures: LiVESThe Lifespan database for Vehicles, Equipment and Structures (LiVES) is a database based on lifespan and usage data for commodities, containing information collated from a variety of sources, such as national statistical surveys; research papers; and reports by industrial bodies.
Environment and Society
- Database on Sustainabiligy Indicators (SDI) adopted by national governments, etc.Scope of the database covers 28 countries, regions, and international organizations listed and 1,848 types of indicators.
- Embodied Energy and Emission Intensity Data for Japan Using Input-Output Tables (3EID)Database compiling embodied environmental burden intensities for approximately 400 sectors of economic activity in 1990 and 1995.