Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research
- Outline of Research
- Research Staff
- Database / Tool
Outline of Research
Contributing solutions for sustainable usage of resources and the reduction of the environmental burden which accompanies that use
Our researches aim to contribute to:
1) Cyclical and efficient use of resources
2) Lessen the environmental burden occurred from waste
On scales ranging from local to international, researchers examine the state and elucidate the mechanisms of resource use and associated environmental burdens arising from socioeconomic activities. They also conduct research on assessment methods and strategic proposals for transitioning to sustainable a sound material-cycle society. Researchers also develop and evaluate technologies for the appropriate treatment, disposal, and recycling of wastes and recyclable resources as well as the fundamental technologies needed for resource recycling and material management.
○ Material cycles research program
- PJ1: Designing a sustainability strategy for global resource networks from the consumption-based perspective
- PJ2: Assessment of resource efficiency and environmental impact in the cycles of recyclable materials and accompanied substances
- PJ3: Proposal of transition paths and adaptation measures for a circular society
- PJ4: Establishment of a robust, sustainable and integrated waste management system for Asia
- PJ5: Development of next generation technologies for “3R”
○ Fundamental research
- Development of various analysis and evaluation measures and survey on a sound material-cycle society system
- Situational elucidation, sustainability assessment and institutional design on international flows and stocks on resources
- Establishment of quality evaluation and management technology system for cyclical use and appropriate disposal of waste and by-products
- Development and evaluation of treatment, disposal and recycling technology for an appropriate management of cyclical resources and waste in Asian developing countries
- Establishment of logic modelling and development of various fundamental technologies needed for material cycles and materials management
Database / Tool
- Database on municipal solid waste management in the Asia-Pacific Region (DaMSAR)Database related to the SDG Indicator 11.6.1 on municipal solid waste management in developing countries of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Database on Sustainabiligy Indicators (SDI) adopted by national governments, etc.Scope of the database covers 28 countries, regions, and international organizations listed and 1,848 types of indicators.
- Embodied Energy and Emission Intensity Data for Japan Using Input-Output Tables (3EID)Database compiling embodied environmental burden intensities for approximately 400 sectors of economic activity in 1990 and 1995.
- Lifespan database for Vehicles, Equipment, and Structures: LiVESThe Lifespan database for Vehicles, Equipment and Structures (LiVES) is a database based on lifespan and usage data for commodities, containing information collated from a variety of sources, such as national statistical surveys; research papers; and reports by industrial bodies.
- Institute Overview
- Center for Global Environmental Research
- Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research
- Center for Health and Environmental Risk Research
- Center for Regional Environmental Research
- Center for Environmental Biology and Ecosystem Studies
- Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research
- Center for Environmental Measurement and Analysis
- Research Staff
- Jobs at NIES
- Access and Benefit-Sharing of Genetic Resources